>Gummy Bear Math: Graphing & Finding The Mean, The Median & The Mode
Delicious & Fun! Fun! Fun!
– To engage students in a fun(!) and rewarding Math activity
– To promote positive group skills
– To demonstrate a solid understanding of 4 specific Math concepts: graphing, mean, median, mode
– Gummy Bears (made in a nut / peanut free facility)
– Large bristol boards
– Pencils, rulers, erasers, highlighters
– Markers, colour pencils, glue sticks
– Graph paper
– Hand sanitizer & napkins (Gummy Bears are slippery 😉
– Review and ensure an understanding of the following math concepts: Different types of graphs; Mode, Median, Mean
– Divide students into groups
– Give each group a bowl of Gummy Bears
– Students divide Gummy Bears into groups according to colour (Allow students to eat a few!!!! It’s only fair ;-))
– Students create bar graphs, line graphs, pictographs, pie charts, etc. to accurately represent the number of red, green, yellow & orange Gummy Bears
– All “5” groups agree on one colour of gummy bear to count and compare. For example:
Group #1: 18 red Gummy Bears
Group #2: 24 red Gummy Bears
Group #3: 20 red Gummy Bears
Group #4: 18 red Gummy Bears
Group #5: 19 red Gummy Bears
– Share/post the above information. Students work together in groups to find the mean, median & mode of red Gummy Bears. Compare answers.
– Each group finds a creative way to display the information gathered on a piece of bristol board
– Display the graphs (based on all colours of Gummy bears); & the mean, median & mode of red Gummy Bears; Include concept definitions (mean, median, mode, types of graphs, etc.) (e.g. draw a creative, colourful frame, pictures, etc. in addition to math)
– Share & display!!!! & eat a few more Gummy Bears 😉 YUM!
Note: This activity could also be easily extended to include and display students’ understanding of fractions and percent.